Extra Care Housing
What is Extra Care Housing?
The expert care we can provide ranges from practical help with getting dressed and bathed or household tasks, such as laundry and shopping, to companionship and conversation. And it’s all tailored to your individual needs, so you can choose how much help you receive and when, and this can be adjusted as your needs change.
If you are currently finding it difficult to remain in your home but do not yet need or want the high level of care available in residential or nursing homes, Housing with Care may be just the right move for you. Whether you are on your own or in a couple, we can cater for your needs. We also offer a 24-hour emergency response service so you know that help is always at hand should you need it urgently.
Why choose Extra Care Housing?
Housing with Care offers many advantages, not least that you are living in the comfort of your own home with your belongings all around you.
- Couples and friends can stay together
- You have your own front door, to come and go as you please
- Being safe and secure - access to communal areas, and reception doors at night, only by a residents’ electronic key fob
- Communal facilities where you can meet with your neighbours and friends if you want to
- Parking for a car, subject to availability
- Care teams on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Your own individual care package, which can be altered as your needs change
What care services are available?
Personal support services:
- Help to get dressed and undressed
- Assistance with bathing
- Help to get up and go to bed
- Assistance with eating and drinking
- Assistance with personal hygiene, going to the toilet and continence care
- Prompting, supervising or administering your medication
Practical care and support
- Assistance with shopping
- Help with household tasks including bedmaking
- Preparation and cooking of meals
- Help with laundry and ironing
- Assistance to and from the on-site restaurant
- Help getting to medical appointments
- Support on how to stay safe
What is the accommodation like?
Housing with Care schemes are made up of self-contained one or two-bedroom apartments, all carefully designed and built to help you live as independently as you can.
With ease of living paramount, all apartments have mobility standard kitchens, with built-in oven and hob, and en-suite bathrooms with walk-in showers, and you can easily install grab rails.
As all too often it’s the little things that can make the difference, all plug and aerial sockets are located higher off the ground than usual for easy access and in many developments front doors have letter-box cages so you don’t have to bend down to pick post off the floor.
Some apartments have balconies and winter gardens so you can get fresh air and keep gardening should you wish.
Best of all, our apartments all come unfurnished, meaning you can fill them with your favourite personal belongings to make them feel like home from the word go.
Your Care Team
Our Extra Care Housing Services have a dedicated and specially trained team on site, who are able to offer the care you require, as and when you need it.
Managed by the Domiciliary Care Manager, the team have been trained in the mandatory Care Certificate programme where they learn the most up-to-date care techniques and vital services to make sure we offer the best care available to every person who requires it.
Our Care Team are also trained by our Trust Admiral Nurses, who specialise in helping people to care for others with Dementia. Working closely with Dementia UK, this training also helps not only people with dementia, but also, family and friends who also help to care for their loved ones.
All of our Extra Care Housing Schemes are closely regulated by our in-house Care Quality team as well as the Care Quality Commission (CQC). All of our Extra Care Housing Service Teams have been awarded a ‘Good’ by the CQC in recent inspections.